Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Virtual Tour TPACK

What is the content you’ll be using in your lesson?
6th Grade Social Studies Utah Standard 1, Objective 1:
a. Identify the major physical features of the regions where ancient civilizations flourished.
b. Describe how these features influenced the success or decline of the civilizations.

What is the pedagogy you’ll be using and why is it a good fit with the content?
I will have my students use their observation skills as they follow my instructions for describing the geography of my four locations. They will also be using their writing skills as they are required to list, describe, or explain certain geographical features. They will also be required to make inferences from research they find, such as coming to conclusions about how certain geographical features helped or hindered certain civilizations. This is an excellent fit with my content, because it helps my students thoroughly explore the first two indicators of Objective 1--they must identfiy physical features through observation and exploring the links and they must describe as they read the content in the links and write about their conclusions.

What is the technology you’ll be using and why is it a good fit with the content and pedagogy?
I will be using Google Earth, as well as all kinds of links and images within Google Earth, for my students to explore. This is a great fit with the content and pedagogy because it gives my students the opportunity to explore first-hand what these civilizations looked like. The links give them a chance to do their own research and find answers to questions about how these civilizations survived. The technology gives my students the chance to really do social studies, which I believe will help them be more engaged and motivated in the pedagogy skills and content.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked your tour of the ancient civilizations. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete